I’ve been a landscape designer for over a decade now and yet I still have some friends and extended family that have no idea what I actually do. They always just assume that I only do plant layout for foundation beds or small residential gardens. So when I show them photos of my projects that are full of not only plants, but walkways, patios, walls and lighting they seem genuinely shocked. ‘You really designed all that?’ or ‘I had no idea you did that!’ Are common responses that always makes me laugh. As a landscape designer knowledge of plant material is very important, but so is knowledge about different hardscape options, drainage, lighting and construction practices. All of these elements are important aspects of a well thought out landscape and a great reason to hire someone who specializes in landscape design to help you design your dream outdoor space!
Working here at di Stefano landscaping means being a part of a full service landscape design and build company. We offer the broad spectrum of landscape services from landscape design, to installation of hardscapes and gardens, as well as maintenance of planting beds and lawns. We take landscape designs and make them a reality! Often when meeting with a client for the first time to discuss a project, the most frequently asked question is ‘Why do I need a landscape design?’ The answer to this question is that there are many reasons why having a plan is helpful when thinking about a landscape project for your home or business. The first being that a landscape plan shows the overall look of what the space is going to be like when the project is completed. You will be able see where walkways or patios will be situated, how garden beds will help to create spaces and nestle hardscapes into the landscape and how each outdoor space corresponds with not only each other but also the building and the surrounding environment. Having a plan is especially helpful if you are thinking about a multi-phase project. The reason for this is because everyone involved in the project can see the long term goal of what you want to accomplish with your outdoor living space. Smaller projects within the whole can be picked off one or two at a time over a span of months or years.
Here is a helpful list that we keep in our office, it mentions some of the many reasons other reasons why a landscape design can benefit you. This list also highlights some of the many things that are taken into consideration when a professional landscape designer is working with you on your project.
Why Landscape Design?
The Arrival Experience:
- How does your landscape make you feel when you arrive home?
- What do you see first and is this something you want to change?
- How can we maximize the outdoor living spaces for our needs?
- Where will dining, play, entertainment or work take place?
- How are each of the desired spaces defined?
- Are there views that need to be highlighted or blocked?
- Do you need wind screens or plantings to help muffle the sound of traffic?
Grade / Site Challenges:
- Can slopes be turned into assets?
- Drainage concerns and where to direct/handle the water?
Housekeeping and Functionality:
- Screening of existing utilities, panels, septic or AC units?
- Location of new utilities, panels, septic or AC units in correspondence to the desired use of the outdoor space.
- Where will chickens or other animals fit into your landscape?
- Where will wood, boats or RVs be stored?
- Can we conserve resources by limiting lawn spaces or adding shade trees to help cool the house?
- How can we create a truly one of a kind space for the homeowners to enjoy?
- How can we incorporate all the elements that the homeowner is looking for, like specific plant material both new and transplants, pavers or stone for hardscapes or raised beds for vegetables?
- What can be done to enhance curb appeal?
- How can we maximize the resale value / marketability of the home?
- How does the project provide value for the client? Does it purely make them happy to spend time in their landscape? Does it provide comfort or safety by installing a new front walkway and steps or do they see that there will be a financial return when they go to sell their home?
Let us know if you have a landscape project you would like help with and we would be happy to create a landscape plan for you!