We all enjoy spending time in our yards with family and friends especially on beautiful Vermont summer days. So in preparation for the 4th of July and a long weekend, here are a few tips on building the best backyard sports courts. Have Fun!
- Start by constructing a wooden frame of approximately 10’ x 60’.
- Excavate to a depth of 8”.
- Line the area with landscape fabric.
- 6” of compacted gravel should be used as a base.
- 2” of Rock fines should be leveled and used as a finished court surface.
- Start by measuring the area. The pits should be made exactly 40’ apart for regulation length.
- The construction of two 36”x 48” wooden boxes should be placed at either end of the area.
- The soil within the boxes should be excavated several inches.
- Lay landscape fabric in bottom of box.
- Drive stake into ground at least 21” from front of the box. Make sure that the stake is sticking up 15” from grade and pitching forward at a slight 3” angle.
- Fill box with sand.
- Start by measuring out a 16’ x 16’ square.
- Next create a grid to create 8 rows across the top and down the side. This will give you 64 2’x2’ squares.
- Remove the sod from every other square and lay a 2’x2’ bluestone stepper in it’s place.
- Large Chess Pieces can be purchased from many retailers online.
Here are a few other classic courts you might be interested in as well.